International Education Policy
Take a pro-active role in policy-making which affects international education.
Maintain on-going communication and cooperative relationships with government departments and appropriate statutory and other bodies, with a view to participate in policy-making which affects international education.
Monitor government policy and procedures on issues affecting international students and academic or administrative visitors from abroad.
Develop a coordinated approach among member institutions to disseminating relevant information and providing agreed services to prospective and registered international students and to local students going abroad.
Exchanges· Create opportunities for South African students to take advantage of exchange agreements and study abroad.
Liaise with organisations which are involved in promoting international education cooperation.
Help institutional members to assist their South African students returning from a study period abroad to re-assimilate into South Africa.
- Develop and maintain a world-wide directory of international educators and their associations.
- Develop and maintain a directory and research material on international education.
- Organise regional conferences, workshops and seminars to promote networking among South African institutions.
- Develop linkages with public and private organisations interested in supporting the promotion of international exchange.
- Encourage publications in Southern Africa on issues regarding international education.
Adapt the practices and develop the expertise of those involved in international education to meet Southern African needs in the following areas:
- Cross-cultural communication
- Setting up, marketing and running Study-Abroad Programmes
- International student recruitment;o government regulations
- Advising and counseling
- Obtaining travel and accommodation grants for students and staff to enable participation in exchanges.
- Develop a common ethical code of practice.·
- Develop and monitor internationally recognised standards in international education exchange practices in South Africa.
Assist in training international advisors in the evaluation of credentials.
Develop awareness of the need for the globalisation of curricula.
Students Membership Application: Open by application to individuals enrolled as full time students in South African institutions of higher learning.